Creative writing can be a challenge to students or those who are new to this genre of writing. A lot of this had to do with the fact that most of our education, we were taught how to write persuasive essays, informational essays, or literary analysis papers. All of this requires creativity, this is true. However, it does not stretch the imagination to the extent that creative writing does. Sometimes, all we really need is help to get our imaginations started. That is why, for all the students, writers, or future writers out there, we have compiled a list of creative writing prompts to assist you. Whether you use them as the basis for an actual story or as an exercise to aid you in your quest to write creatively, we hope they get your creative juices flowing.
1. Write about love, happiness, or laughter.
2. Write a story that is meant to make the reader cry.
3. Audrey and Jessica had been best friends since childhood, until one day…
4. Describe a story in which dragons, unicorns, or fairies are real.
5. A message in a bottle washed up on shore. What did it say?
6. Write about what you think your grandparents were like when they were young.
7. Write a funny story meant to make the reader laugh out loud.
8. Describe your best friend.
9. Pick a random word from the dictionary and make it the title of your play. Then write the play.
10. Write about something that terrifies you.
11. Write about nature with human qualities.
12. Write a poem about your favorite place to visit.
13. Write about something that excites you.
14. Where do you want to be in five years?
15. Scientists have discovered a new species of animal. What is it?
16. A spaceship just landed in your backyard. What happens next?.
17. Create a story based on a conversation you overhear at a restaurant of cafe.
18. Write about what life would be like if we slept during the day and were awake at night.
19. Write about fear, evil, hate, or cruelty.
20. Write down a secret you have kept for a friend. Ps. don’t show anyone!
21. Whom do you love the most? Why?
22. Write a story in which our world takes place one Mars.
23. The rain pelted against the windowsill . . .
24. Write about your childhood home.
25. Describe a recent dream or nightmare you had.
Did these help you get started with your creative writing? Let us know!